Redid all the etla.org web stuff to be hosted on nginx. Let me know if you see any problems.
Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Fri, 21 Sep 2012
Looks like ceres.etla.org has been sending spam out for a few days. As far as I can tell someone cracked my SMTP AUTH password. Investigating.
Mon, 23 Apr 2012
You can filter ports on the local machine by user with iptables using something like this:
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1234 -d localhost -m owner ! --uid-owner root -j REJECT
Will restrict port 1234 on localhost to only be accessible by root.
Thu, 01 Mar 2012
Playing with setting up sshfp on etla.org.
Should make things a little bit more secure, although I really need to do dnssec as well.
Mon, 31 Jan 2011
Recently discovered gooze and their interesting variety of cryptographic products.
I decided to try to get this working on debian with PAM as an authentication method.
So far the software I've tried to do this is oath-toolkit, which provides a convenient
pam_oath PAM module to use. I've got this working on a home debian machine for testing, requiring a one-time-password from the dongle every time I login.
Rough steps to setup:
- Install oath-toolkit as usual. You probably want to install from source or download the supplied debs, the latest version seems to be the thing to get.
ldconfig- this is one thing that's not mentioned in the instructions but was needed before my machine would see the new PAM module.
- Put this in
# this bit restricts oath checking to the specified user # you could use a group or whatever if you had more than 1 token auth [default=1 success=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so quiet user = useryouwanttoauth auth requisite pam_oath.so usersfile=/etc/users.oath window=20 digits=6You should have created the
users.oathfile in the normal course of installing oath-toolkit.
ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes PasswordAuthentication yes
After that, things seem to work with at least
su, but I'm still testing. Annoyingly, if there's a ssh authorized_key, it seems to override password authentication totally. Ideally I'd like to combine ssh keys and OTP, but I haven't worked that out yet.
I've also got one of the gooze OTP C200 tokens, which looks very nice, and uses time based passwords, which I'd really rather use, but it's not supported by oath-toolkit yet.
Thu, 20 Jan 2011
There's not much IPv4 left, it should be an interesting transition.
Wed, 07 Apr 2010
I love Linux, it's so great. Output from the
//server.example.com/mstevens on /export/mstevens type cifs (rw,mand) //server.example.com/mstevens on /export/mstevens type cifs (rw,mand) //server.example.com/mstevens on /export/mstevens type cifs (rw,mand) //server.example.com/mstevens on /export/mstevens type cifs (rw,mand) //server.example.com/mstevens on /export/mstevens type cifs (rw,mand)
Mon, 28 Dec 2009
Started the setup on the new etla.org server, now to be called eris.etla.org. Hoping to get people and services moved over in the next week or two.
Sat, 01 Aug 2009
Had to stop using the spam filtering service I was using for etla.org, so I now expect to get drowned in the stuff.
Sat, 06 Dec 2008
After thinking about doing it for ages, webmail on etla.org should be working again.
Mon, 26 Feb 2007
Thought I'd try out gnash at the weekend (it's a free-software flash implementation). It seems to be really pretty bad - it hasn't crashed Firefox or anything, but the best I got was some bits of a flash movie barely working. I have high hopes for the project though, and it is still alpha.
Sun, 18 Feb 2007
saigo.etla.org is now doing greylisting, based on the Greylisting with pf tutorial. Let me know if this causes you problems.
Wed, 25 Oct 2006
For a while I've been trying to use UTF-8 in my desktop locale on debian. I've fought with various setup issues, like the stable version of zsh not supporting multibyte locales at all, and thought I had it more or less working.
Only, today, I discovered that the weird font problems I've been having for a while on my debian testing machine are traceable to the UTF-8 thing - it seems that, for some reason, on my setup, fonts would just be entirely missing in a number of apps. Going back to ISO-8859-1 fixed it. So I've given up on the UTF-8 experiment - unix just isn't ready.